Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Surgery is Today

Today, October 8 is the day of my surgery. I have to be at the hospital at 1:00 PM. After surgery I will be in intensive care. If you are wondering if I'm somewhat stressful about this, the answer is "Yes". However, those of you that have been following this blog, also know I am remarried to the most amazing man on the planet.


Last week, I had to go the hospital for a whole battery of tests that needed to be completed prior to my surgical date. Keep in mind I have been remarried for just over two years.


You can imagine my shock and outrage that on the "face sheet" of my chart they had listed "next of kin contact information". THEY HAD MY ABUSER'S NUMBER LISTED! Immediate fear gripped me. Had they already called him with any information (this was my thought)?


Thankfully, my beloved husband was with me. He (a medical professional) was equally outraged. Before we left the hospital that day, the correct information was on the "face sheet" of my chart. If anyone would have told me the hospital could have screwed something up like this so badly...I would not have believed it. Yet, it's true. They messed up royally.


This alerted me to the fact if it can happen to me, it just as well could happen to anyone. PLEASE...ladies, if you have any procedures done, whether in patient, or out patient: Check over every single bit of information. Check, and double check. Do not allow anyone to tell you, "Oh, it's all OK." That's what they told me...thankfully....we looked!


The other source of stress right now, is knowing that as soon as I've recovered successfully from this surgery...I have to go back to the neurosurgeon to continue looking into the reasons for all the lesions I have on both sides of my brain. Only some of the reason is clear...and that is repeated head trauma after all the years of abuse. Another thing I was told that it could be MS...as there are medical indicators that would suggest this. Yet, it needs to be investigated more thoroughly.


To those of you that pray, I certainly covet your prayer support. I don't know when I'll be able to do my next post. I was told that some hospitals have access for their patients to the internet. Yet, it never occured to me until right now that I should have asked. :(


I have a little more to do yet before we leave. I will close out for now. Usually, I end my post by saying I wish I could (((Hug))) each one of you...but right now, I wish I could get a (((Hug))) from you.

Kindest Regards,

Kathryn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your surgery went well and that your recovery is swift.

Danni said...

Hi girl! Barbara (Not Under Bondage) told me about your surgery. I'm praying for you!

-- Danni

Anonymous said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope your abuser is in jail for a long time and listed on www.theweakervessel.org. It's a site for convicted DV offendeders, similar to the sex offenders site. I wrote a book detailing some of the horrific beatings I witnessed my father give to my mother and it will forever haunt my soul. I am trying to help the cause to end DV by donating 25% of profits from book CONFESSIONS OF A CATHOLIC SCHOOLGIRL to local DV organizations.
peace & hugs

Feathers said...

Hope you are okay, your surgery went well.